Friday, January 21, 2011

un/seasonality

seasonality:

gf peppermint chocolate cookie milkshake

peppermint milkshake with gluten-free double chocolate cookie. rather than mourning this melty substance as failed ice cream, we salvaged it as milkshake—perhaps its true calling all along. those humanities grad students, always thinking on their feet. the cookies are a delicious repeat, from the babycakes cookbook.

unseasonality:

latticed peach pie

ain't nothing sweeter than a peach pie in january. this is due to the wonders of canning, and also the wonders of a thoughtful foodie friend who graciously shared a jar of her peach windfall with me, back in summertime.

max made this crust and it was perfect. first time latticework, too. j'adore.

peach pie, ginger ice cream

served with ginger cashew milk ice cream. recipe adapted from the vegan scoop. the homemade cashew milk made for an amazingly creamy, rich, and voluptuous ice cream. i used 1/2 cup cashews to 2 cups water, then supplemented with another cup of boxed almond milk. 1/2 cup of nuts for a whole batch of ice cream indicates to me that this cashew ice cream is neither as fatty nor as expensive as one might think...reason enough for me to make it often and eat it avidly.

6 comments:

Nikki said...

Canning is FOOD MAGIC. I need to learn to can. Maybe this is the year!

Carissa said...

Those both look great! Great blog! I'm following now. Check me out when u can:)

Amey said...

yum!!!! I would probably eat that entire peach pie if it were sitting in front of me right now. 6 weeks with no vegan baked goods can create quite a psychological backlog! :)

T said...

That peach pie is to die for! Lovely lattice work. Pie crust is not my friend so I am very jealous.

Emily said...

Your mom just sent me over here after we were discussing the neighborhood garden project website & blogging.

I love making homemade ice cream (see pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebarney/sets/72157621979243208/) but the only vegan options I've tried are banana with soy milk and coconut/lime. Both are good, but I would like something a bit less tropical for serving with ice cream, etc. This looks perfect and pretty simple, too, always a good thing. :)

Your neighbor, perhaps?
Emily

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

That peach pie looks scrumptious :-)